Right now we’re so caught up with the platforms of the candidates, I wonder how many people have realized how ground-breaking this election will be?
No matter who wins, we will set a new record in the White House.
Our new President will either be:
- The first woman
- The first spouse of a former President to take office
- The first hispanic
- The first Cuban (can you imagine we have TWO of these?)
- The first Jew
- The first African-American candidate who is also a Republican (Sorry, this was written before Ben Carson suspended his campaign but it is still worth mentioning)
- The first person who never held a previous office and was also not in the military
- The richest man to ever hold office of President, beating out JFK’s 1 billion dollar worth (adjusted for inflation) by a factor of 10
- The first son of a mail carrier and the grandson of a coal miner
- The first First Lady whose native language is not English and is a naturalized citizen
- The first Democratic Socialist
- The first President of Czech ethnicity
- The first President of Croatian ethnicity
- The first First Lady who was a bikini model in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition
Whomever you decide to vote for, take a moment and reflect on this moment in history. The fact that these things are being rarely mentioned hopefully means we’re seeing people, not their ethnicities, or religions, or genders. To me, that’s a pretty wonderful thing.